Yes, I know it’s Friday. But I wanted to get a Throwback Thursday post out this week, and I suppose I could change the name of this post to “Flashback Friday,” but since the feature is called Throwback Thursday…oh, never mind. It’s the thought that counts, right? Getting on with things…here’s a song I recently discovered from back in 1978…
“Wuthering Heights” by Kate Bush!
So I had heard the name of Kate Bush from time to time over the years…even heard some covers of her work. However, it wasn’t until a week or so ago that thanks to “Strictly Come Dancing” (the British show that spawned “Dancing With The Stars” here in the US), I listened to what is considered probably her biggest hit (it went to #1 in the UK upon its release in 1978), this song, for the first time. At first, I wasn’t sure what to think, but I liked it. It struck my fancy, so later, I listened to it some more (thank you, Spotify). Then I loved it. And eventually, I kept listening to it over and over. Kate’s definitely a…very unique artist, to put it kindly. Let’s be honest, a more blunt way to say it would be that she’s REALLY weird. But in this song (and the best of her other work, which I have begun to explore thanks to this tune), she channels that weirdness, for lack of a better term, into something bracingly unique, beautifully riveting, and gracefully melodic. Inspired by, you guessed it, the novel “Wuthering Heights,” and armed with a stunning soprano range (she recorded this when she was just 19), and a singular tone (it’s a bit hard to get used to at first, but it grows on you), Kate truly has crafted a timeless tour-de-force. It’s fitting that this was her debut single, because in my view, this is an excellent introduction to the free-spirited artistry of Kate Bush. This may sound cliche, but she’s definitely one of a kind–and this song is very strong evidence of that.
Now, to keep myself honest (I know there’s not anyone clamoring for my posts or anything, but still), here’s a little sneak peek of posts to come (hopefully some of them within the coming days):
- An artist spotlight on the fantastic Laura Mvula, a rising star from the UK
- An album review or two that I’ve been sitting on for a while
- Another Throwback Thursday post (hopefully this time actually on a Thursday)
- Songs and Music Videos of the Day, of course (I may get one up today or tomorrow, in fact)
- More posts in Spanish
- A new Play List post (most likely one highlighting my favorite arrangers, though this may change…)
- A Sketches post I’m considering, on a very topical subject, as well as a Cover Stories post or two
- And coming up next month…Christmas music galore, a recap of “The Sing-Off” special (that’s sadly all it’s going to be this year, but I’ll take what I can get), and of course, my favorite albums of 2014
I told you I had lots of ideas (at least I think I did)…stay tuned for all this and more, and for now, thanks as always for reading and listening.